Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Crafty :: DIY Magnetic Chalkboard

I mentioned I would probably blog about other happenings and fun things going on in my life as well so here you go!
My latest project!




I have had this frame for probably 10 years.  All it has done is sit in my closet collecting dust...

:: haha, my pup apparently wanted to sneak into the picture (bottom left) ::

Until now!  Cute, but just not my style anymore. 

I got the bright idea that I wanted to make it into a chalkboard.  But not just any chalkboard.  A BRIGHT, funky, magnetic chalkboard.

Materials needed:  
Frame
Piece of sheet metal to fit the frame
Cardboard (big enough to fit the frame)
Spray paint (if you decide to funk-ify your frame)
Primer spray paint
Chalkboard spray paint
Spray adhesive
Glue


Cue: Home Depot.

I was able to get the sheet metal for half off since the edges were bent and there was a dent in the middle.  BUT, the edges are either cut off or hidden by the frame and the dent was easily hammered out so keep an eye out for potential bargains!  

The only other thing I had to buy was the frame spray paint since I had everything else on hand but you can find most if not all of the other materials at your local craft store or Walmart (definitely your cheapest option.)


First step is to dust your frame if its been sitting in your closet for 10+ years.  No, just me?  Ok, moving on!

Paint your frame with a primer.  Let it dry. 


Next, paint the frame.  Do a light coat, then let it dry.  Painting the frame was the most tedious part.  I wanted to let it dry between coats (that's extremely difficult because I am a super impatient person, especially when it comes to projects...) and when you do 1,000 coats to get every nook and cranny, that's a lot of impatiently waiting.   


Next, I measured out the size of my frame on to my sheet metal and marked it with a sharpie.  



After that, cut your metal to size with a super duper metal cutting tool.   
I used a pair of these:



It's probably a good idea to wear gloves otherwise you might get one of these...  That sucker is sharp!


Next, cut out a piece of cardboard the same size as your metal.  This will be a backing on your metal to make it sturdier.  You can use whatever you want but I chose cardboard because its lightweight and I had it lying around the house.  

Spray one side of your cardboard and one side of your metal with your spray adhesive.  Stick both glued sides together and press to make sure you have a tight bond.  
This is what I used to spray them:


Trim off any excess cardboard sticking out from the edges of your metal.  

Now it's time to spray the metal.  First, spray it with a coat of primer.  Let it dry.  Now it's time to spray the metal using the chalkboard paint.  The directions said to do 2 coats so that's what I did.  Let it dry in between coats.  





This is the paint I used:



Next, squeeze a thin line of glue along the inside edge of the frame.  
This is the glue I used:


Try not to go too crazy.   You don't want the glue to squeeze out onto the front of your chalkboard.



After you go all the way around, insert the metal/cardboard into the frame.  Press along the edges to make sure it's fully inserted and glued down.  I also glued along the top of the seam like this:



Now you just need to wait for the glue to dry.  I put some weight on the corners to make sure they were  glued down really well.  



And now you're:

:: and now the baby is making his move into the picture! ::


Happy crafting!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spray adhesive is truly preferable in cases like this. There is a less chance of missing out spots and balance of amount to be applied. By the way, this is fun DIY! Just be extra careful next time you do projects that involves sharp objects.

Shannon Mcniel @ASI